POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Is there a better way to do this? : Re: Is there a better way to do this? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a better way to do this?
From: Mike
Date: 13 Aug 2002 22:15:05
Message: <web.3d59bd05ca87489de9d3dc080@news.povray.org>
I started by trying to get trace to work, but the values I got back were
wrong.  If I traced a point to the surface of the ground (with a direction
vector of <0,-1,0>, I would get very wrong y values if the ground was
perfectly flat.  The best example I can give is in the code I posted
earlier (see thread titled "Collision Detection").  In that example, I had
a ball going over some spheres.  In the case that the ball was directly
above the ground spheres, I would recieve a y offset that was close to
double what it should have been.

Maybe I just need a better understanding of how trace works and how to use
it.  I would love to explore that, but have had trouble locating resources
or tutorials.

Mike